Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

When Inspiration Flees


There's just not a lot to write about this week. Or maybe I'm just too distracted to see it. That could be. I mean, I'm getting excited about the election, but I'd be lying if I told you that I'm not going to be happy once the polls close in Hawaii and it's all over but the partying.

I'm sure I'll have plenty to say after the debate Thursday night (I'd love to live blog it, but I won't be home until the debate begins, so I'll probably hang out at the Rott chat room until it's over, then post something.)

Here are a few tidbits I found that did catch my eye:

Senator Kerry wants all the attack ads to just go away. I guess it was ok when they were attacking the President, but it's just mean when they attack him. Funny thing is... the Left attacks Bush with lies, and the Right attacks Kerry with facts. But they're all just mean and not fair, right, Senator?

More on Senator Kerry... evidently the Democratic candidate for president spent a little too much time in the sun (or under a sun light) recently. I'm not sure if this photo was airbrushed or if the video I saw had a bad filter, but he looked sunburned in the video. SPF 30 is a beautiful thing, Senator. Sun cancer is not fun. I may not like your politics, but I don't want you dead, either.

In other campaign news... Senator Kennedy thinks that President Bush has made a nuclear attack on US soil more likely. You just keep telling yourself that, Senator. While I agree that every moment that any Islamofacist is still sucking air increases our chances of some sort of terrorist attack, I can't agree that it's all President Bush's fault (except for not turning the ME into one gigantic black glass coffee table- but I think our ally Israel might not be too happy with that idea.) Democrats must not believe in the theory of multitasking. You can do more than one thing at once, especially militarily. Just ask the WWII vets- they managed to win the war in the Pacific and the war in Europe at the same time.

NY State Democratic Party Chairman Herman Farrell thinks that President Bush is "simple." Assemblyman Farrell, why make things difficult when they can be simple? Why use big words to prove your intelligence if your viewpoint, your plans, your vision can be explained in simple words that everyone understands? Why insist on nuance when clarity and directness are wanted and dare I say needed? But, you go on ahead and continue to misunderestimate W. That's quite alright with me.

Bill O'Reilly interviewed President Bush last week, and the interview is being aired on O'Reilly's tv show this week. Part 1 aired last night. Good start- the President looked relaxed, was joking with O'Reilly. I had two... shall we say "issues"?... with the President's answers. First, he said that he has no idea where Iraq's WMDs are. One of his generals is pretty sure he knows where they went... I guess W can't just come out and say," oh, yeah... they're in Syria... we're going after them next." Oh, well... Second, O'Reilly asked W about the US/Mexican border and the sheer number of illegal aliens (no, they're not "undocumented aliens"- they're illegal...they're breaking the law) crossing the border daily. It was bad enough when the people crossing the border in the dead of night just wanted a better life for their families, but now we probably have bad guy splodydopes sneaking in to wreck havock on US soil. Put up an electric fence, mine the border, do something!!!

Looks like the plans for a draft dodger statue in Canada have been squashed. Looks like some of the people in Nelson, B.C., aren't very happy about all the press they've received.

In our last piece of serious news, a man wanted for questioning concerning threats against the President has disappeared. He has cancelled his credit cards and closed his bank accounts. He even gave the keys to his house to a neighbor. The guy doesn't want to be found, which is why the Secret Service needs to find him.

On to the "lighter" stuff... sort of...

Mount St. Helens seems to be having a little rumbly in the tumbly. I have family in Washington, and my uncle was a geology major when it blew it's side out in '80 (ok, and I was/am/always will be a news/science junkie), so I really paid attention to this. I even had some rock and ash from the eruption, but I donated it to my grade school when I graduated. When I was 10, this was just cool- that my great aunt had to dust off her car in Spokane was amazing to me. Now that I'm older and I can see the ramifications of a volcanic eruption on the continental US , while it's still cool, it's kind of scary. People die during these things. (After all, from a purely scientific point of view, 4 hurricanes in 1 year hitting the same peninsula is pretty cool, too. Unless you live there. Or you died there.) One interesting quote:

<>While the chopper was near the dome, the pilot was in radio contact with Bobbie Myers, another geophysicist who during the 1980 blast learned to detect subtle changes in seismic monitors. "She's known to be able to predict explosive events up to a couple of minutes ahead of time," Winn said.
I'm sorry, but if I lived near Mt. St. Helens, I'd want a little more than a couple of minutes warning. Know what I mean?

Now on to the real "lighter" news... Hugh Hefner thinks he's a pretty moral guy. Is this another case of "it depends on what your definition of 'is' is" moment? I'm not going to judge the man- his soul's condition is between him and his Maker, but... based on what he said in the article... it's that kind of moral relativism that gets you into trouble in the afterlife.

Rosie O'Donnell might try her hand at talk radio. Go for it! I'm sure there's plenty of airtime available on Air America. If you can find a sponsor. (sorry... had to get that jab in). Seriously, I have to question Westwood One's judgement if they offer her a show. She would have a limited audience (her tv audience has dispersed- probably both from her coming out of the closet and her unpopular political stands, and liberal radio is just not working). Talk radio pretty much belongs to conservatives, in the same way that Hollywood and MSM belongs to the liberals (yes, there are exceptions... Alan Colmes is doing fairly well on the radio, and FoxNews is gaining ground in the MSM). It just doesn't make economic sense to back her (even if you like her annoying voice and caustic humor.)

In Prague, they're offering beer for blood. No, really. You donate blood, you get beer and a magazine subscription. Where do I sign up?

A library book was returned... 100 years late. How did they determine the £5000 (~$9000 US) fine? And who in the world do they think will pay it?

Finally... a Romanian shepherd was saved from a bear attack... by his Pekinese. You know that bear will never live this down back at the pub... or where ever it is that bears congregate to tell tales and mead.




<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?