Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, October 22, 2004

Ah, yes, I remember it well...


Tonight some of the parents (the ones who get along) were sitting around talking during football practice. Sometimes we talk about football... sometimes... not. Last night was when/how to have "The Talk" with your kids (uh... Hubby... that's your cue!) Tonight was a pretty random chat... and fun...

It all started when one parent commented that she'd recently gone to an Earth, Wind and Fire/ Chicago concert. (Sounds like fun... does that make me old?) This lead to a discussion of concerts we'd seen (back in the day). One of the moms grew up in Colorado, so she'd been to several concerts at RedRocks (insert jealousy here). Then, mixed in with comments about first cars and first stereos, the talk wandered to drunken adventures.

So... it got me to reminiscing about days gone by... I remembered begging my dad to let me pick an 8-track from the Columbia Music Club catalogue (I ended up with 2- the Carpenters Greatest Hits and one by KISS- the one with Beth on it, of course). That got me thinking about all the nights my dad's band would practice in our basement, and I would be lulled to sleep to the sounds of Credence Clearwater Revival. And Dad and I drving around in his VW Bug, singing at the top of our lungs to the radio (no matter what my kids say, my dad has a great voice).

Then I fast-forwarded to high school, when I went to my first concert- Night Ranger at Six Flags. My friends thought it was funny when I asked what kind of cigarettes the people near us were smoking, because the smoke smelled weird. Then there was my second concert (also Night Ranger, but this time at the Keil in St. Louis. My best friend's boyfriend bought me a ticket as a birthday present, and I asked a really cute football player to go with me.) It took me back to the two summers I worked at the Muny and got to see a bunch of concerts, all for free. Very nice...

Fast-forward again to college... not many concerts- I was counting pennies. But that's where the drunken adventures come in... kind of... Evidently, I had an impressive metabolism, since the Delta Chi fraternity used to tease me about me being their "one man kill a keg" team. Whatever! By the time I became legal, drinking wasn't a big deal for me- probably because I knew I didn't have the money to get drunk. But... watching other people get smashed was always fun...

It all just got me thinking... feeling a little nostalgic, maybe... looking back, it seems like life was so much easier, so much more... just more. But, no matter how much fun it was, remember? We couldn't wait... to grow up... to turn 21... to get out of college... get married... have "real lives." Now that we've got the "real life" we claimed we wanted, we're back to thinking about how great it was "back in the day."

Vicious cycle, isn't it? (hmmm... maybe I need to ask for a Night Ranger cd for Christmas... or maybe... Bay City Rollers... or maybe not)



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?