Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, October 18, 2004

From the wire


Blah... blah... blah...

Anyone tired of politics yet? 15 days, folks... then hopefully it's over (for a month or two). In order to keep a little sanity here, I'm trying to find non-political things to look at, and I've found some interesting stuff...

If you're watching FoxNews today, I'm sure you know that early voting has begun in Florida. I guess it doesn't matter that 31 states offer early voting, and that several of those states began voting a while back.

It seems that some outdoorsmen are thinking about supporting Kerry... due to Bush's environmental policies. Makes me wonder if they've ever actually read up on his policy, or just what's in the MSM concerning it.

Kerry might need those few hunters because the Fraternal Order of Police is definitely not backing him. And they're getting a little tired of him claiming to have the support of the majority of the law enforcement community, when it's actually less than one quarter who have endorced him.

Kerry's tax pledge is going up in smoke already. That didn't take long. His "no new taxes unless you make over $200 K" is more like "we're gonna getcha if you make more than $90K." Obviously, he wasn't a math major.

ACT is circulating a racially charged get-out-the-vote flier in Missouri. As if there aren't enough race problems there.

Also in Missouri, you really can vote after you've passed away. It's one thing to joke about it... but it really does happen. I love St. Louis, but... they definitely have enough issues for the subscription rate.

One last election item, then we'll move on: Rumor has it that V.P. Dick Cheney will fake a heart attack (to get the sympathy vote moving) and then drop out. Bush will then appoint McCain as his running mate, thus guaranteeing the win. Oh, please, please, please tell me that this isn't true!!! I love Cheney, and I really can't stand McCain. (Yeah, I know it's just a rumor on a Democrat web site, but still... ew...)

One bit of world news, and then we'll have some science/tech/animal fun... Our friends the Aussies told the UN "no" when asked to provide troops to defend the mission in Baghdad. They're a little busy actually liberating the country to don the powder blue. Sorry about that, Kofi.

On the tech front, churches are installing cell-phone jammers (let's hope our pastor doesn't hear about this one!) Lockheed Martin might be in trouble if it's true that they turned in design drawings that were done backwards for the Genesis probe that crashed in the desert recently (this is in addition to the Mars Polar Lander that crashed and the Climate orbiter which was lost because they gave navigation measurements in English units instead of metric). The International Aeronautical Federation plans on launching 50 nanosatellites (the size of soda cans) to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the launch of Sputnik.

In Earth Sciences today, we find out that a frozen woolly mammoth will be on display during the 2005 World's Fair in Japan. (OK, I'll admit it- if I had the money, I'd try to get there to see that.) And, at Mount St. Helens, a "fin" on the lava lobe seems to be splitting. (what that means, I have no idea- I just like St. Helens' news whenever I get any!)

Off to the animal world we go... interesting stuff... a jumbo flying squid was caught off the coast of Alaska. (still doesn't make me want calamari). The great white shark that had been tagged in the waters near Cape Cod has lost
it's tracking device, and researchers are asking for you to return it if you find the tracking tag (I mean, come on! It looks likes a ping pong ball on the end of a cigar- it shouldn't be too difficult to find it in the middle of the ocean.) And, in a story so weird I couldn't have made it up if I tried, a bull moose was trapped in electric wires 50 feet in the air.

OK... back to politics for just one more tidbit... I'm not even gonna comment on it... I'm just going to let the headline do the talking... this is possibly the best argument that you can use on some people to persuade them to become Republicans... More Republicans Satisfied with Sex Lives than Democrats.

That is all... for now!



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?