Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, October 15, 2004

News? What news?


If you turn on the tv today (or any day in the next 3 weeks) you'd think that the only thing going on in the world is the US elections. Yeah, it's important... but it's getting old. And I love politics. (I think it's just Kedwards Fatigue, and I'll get over it.)

Ummm... 'k. The polls are looking up for the President, but... they were looking up a few weeks ago, too. Elizabeth Edwards accused Lynn Cheney of being ashamed of her daughter, Mary (in a cat fight between those two, I'd take Lynn for the TKO.) and Kerry's trying to explain his comment. Both candidates are claiming they won the last debate - a whole lot of "I'm right and he's wrong, so vote for me!" And there's a web site that asks people to donate to Ralph Nader's organization if he promises to get out of the race. Geez. Politics as usual.

So... what else is going on? Well... Fallujah is getting pounded by warplanes. A lot of military plans have been put on hold until after 11/2 to avoid the appearance of the President using potential military victories as a political ploy. But, evidently Fallujah isn't on the "do not bomb" list. Cool. (I hate to admit this, but I almost hope the Ketchup Queen was right about finding the rotting remains of OBL prior to the election... any way I can add that to my birthday list? )

Here are a couple of things you might not have seen in the news anywhere else...

Evidently E=mc2 isn't all it's cracked up to be. I mean, when I took physics (which, yes, you smart alecks, was after Einstein made his name in the scientific community), that equation was the be-all and end-all of scientific math. But, no! According to Physics World magazine, four electromagnetic equations by Scottish scientist James Clerk Maxwell are the best in the world. There is even a company that has t-shirts trumpeting his work. (In case you were wondering, Einstein's equation came in 6th. What is this world coming to?)

A Swedish geologist found a tooth. Yeah... I was as excited as you are right now just knowing that, somewhere in Scandinavia, scientists are freaking out because they found a tooth. Yeah, it's a cool tooth... but it came from a mouse. Wow. (My uncle has a degree in geology and a master's in geological engineering. When he was in college, he would take my cousins and me on fossil hunt. I was... underwhelmed. But this is also the guy who went to Washington and brought me some rock and ash from the '80 erruption of Mt. St. Helens. I guess I'm just more into dynamic geology.)

There was an astonishing discovery at the Stuttgart Zoo. That baby girl gorilla that they got from the Berlin Zoo? Well... it's a boy. Granted, I haven't spent quality time with baby gorillas, but I have spent quality time with human babies. How does someone get that wrong?

OK... off to find more coffee...







<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?