Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, November 26, 2004

G.I. Granny


OK... not quite, but this is one awesome lady.

LAWTON, Okla. (AP) - A 72-year-old great-grandmother is preparing for deployment to the war zone in Iraq and will become one of the oldest Department of Defense civilian workers in the war zone. "I volunteered," said Lena Haddix of Lawton, who has five children, eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. "I wanted to do something for the country, because I was always left behind taking care of the children."
Mrs. Haddix was a military wife, and she's had almost 30 years experience working for the PX at Ft. Sill. Personally, I think she's done quite a bit for our country, but I guess she wants to do more.


The PX is more than just a store for soldiers, she said. It's also a boost to morale, giving soldiers stationed overseas a link to the United States and Haddix said that's why she wants to go to Iraq.
"I just see so many of the boys. They're like little kids. They keep telling me, 'I'm going over,' or 'I've just come back,'" she said. "I would just like to go over and be with them."
This might sound weird, but I think this will be good for the guys and gals over in Iraq. I may have her pegged totally wrong, but she seems like an awesome grandma type... and those ladies can have a real calming effect on people. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's their nuturing spirit. She's obviously got that.
And Haddix said others have tried to talk her out of her decision, to no avail.
"I'd already made up my mind I wanted to go. I just wanted to do something for myself and other people instead of working and coming home.
"I'm sure there'll be times that I'll be scared, but I'm not now."
If I believed in reincarnation (which I don't) I'd have to guess she was a Marine in a former life. She's one tough cookie.
Haddix is now going through much of the same process soldiers go through before deployment, including shots and a thorough medical checkup to make sure she's physically able to do a tour of at least six months. She will be sent to Fort Bliss, Texas, for one week of training, then be sent to Germany where she will receive her orders on where in Iraq she will be stationed.
Good luck and Godspeed, Mrs. Haddix. You do us all proud. (Anyone want to take a guess at how many units adopt her before all is said and done?)




<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?