Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Anyone hungry?


(from Laughing Wolf, who got it from Accidental Verbosity, who got it from the BBC) Looking at this list, it becomes obvious (to me at least) that they are definitely talking about things a Brit should eat before dying, because too many of these are staples in the American diet. Or, at least, THIS American's diet....

50 Things to Eat Before You Die (with my comments in italics):
  1. fresh fish (yum!)
  2. lobster (yum yet again)
  3. steak (They're joking, right? There are people who have never cut into a perfectly grilled steak? How sad...)
  4. Thai food (great Thai place in town... love it)
  5. Chinese food (T1 and T2 think this is comfort food)
  6. Ice cream (uh... another joke?)
  7. pizza (just had some last night)
  8. crab ( mmm... crab legs with drawn butter... )
  9. curry (I need to check the definition, but... see "Thai food")
  10. prawns (where's the cocktail sauce?)
  11. Moreton Bay Bugs (ok... you got me there... what is THAT?)
  12. Clam Chowder (oooo... I need to make some of that... it's perfect weather for some chowder)
  13. barbecues (uh... I live in Texas...)
  14. pancakes (what? do they not have pancakes in England???)
  15. pasta (one of the reasons Hubby married me is my spaghetti sauce...)
  16. mussels (favorite meal with mussels was at a place in Virginia Beach- Hubby had something called a "Fish Bowl"- several kinds of seafood in a wonderful broth with rice noodles... maybe I need to figure out that recipe)
  17. cheesecake (not my favorite, but The Cheesecake Factory is making me a convert)
  18. lamb (yum... my garlic leg of lamb is "to die for", I tell you)
  19. cream tea (got me again- never have had a proper tea)
  20. alligator (tastes like chicken... no, really)
  21. oysters (tried them... not a big fan... probably need to try them again)
  22. kangaroo (can't say I've had that pleasure)
  23. chocolate (oh, yeah... )
  24. sandwiches (rubens are yum... so are O'Reilly's... otherwise... not a huge fan)
  25. greek food (mmm.... baklava...moussaka... feta cheese...)
  26. burgers (like I said, this HAS to be aimed at Brits)
  27. mexican food (mmm.... real Mexican... not Texican or TeMex)
  28. squid (not bad fried, but...)
  29. American diner breakfast (I actually prefer the Full English, but...)
  30. salmon (raw, smoked, grilled, poached, stuffed, baked... )
  31. venison (have had jerky and in chili... I like it)
  32. guinea pig (uh... no)
  33. shark (a nice grilled shark steak is a beautiful thing)
  34. sushi (also on T1 and T2's list of comfort food... no joke)
  35. paella (hmmm... not that I know of...)
  36. Barramundi (guess I need to make a trip to Australia)
  37. reindeer (not bad... had it at a restaurant once)
  38. kebab (yum)
  39. scallops (I'm all in favor of all this seafood... I love scallops)
  40. Australian meat pie (technically, I think I make this... isn't that a shepherd's pie?)
  41. mango (not a big mango fan... but I have had it)
  42. durian fruit (I've had Durian candy, and that's enough for me... eeewwww)
  43. octopus (feels like you're chewing rubber bands)
  44. ribs (once again, I'm in Texas... then again... you need to go to Tennessee for some good pork ribs...)
  45. roast beef (with mashed potatoes and gravy... yummm)
  46. tapas (haven't had the pleasure yet... need to remedy that)
  47. jerk chicken/pork (hmmm... don't think I've had that... sounds yummy, though)
  48. haggis (uh... no... not sure about that one... just sounds... nasty)
  49. caviar (yum)
  50. cornish pasty (my grandmother used to make these all the time... I love 'em)
So... by my calculations... I've tried 80% of the items on this list. Wow... that's not bad...

Jay was asking for additions to the list... I need to think about it... but... I think I'd have to say any ethnic food (Japanese, Korean, African, Turkish... you get the idea)... soul food...

Any additions you'd like to make?



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?