Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, December 27, 2004

Looking for Signs...


The massive earthquake and tsunamis in Asia have prompted a new round of End Times speculation (and the left making fun of End Times speculation- I'd link to the Atrios comment thread where I saw it, but there was just too much filth in it- I won't subject you to that junk). They use these verses (among others):
For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs. (Matt 24:7-8)

There will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth dismay among nations, in perplexity at the roaring of the sea and the waves (Luke 21;25)
I'm not going to say that the End Times are here. I'm not going to say that they're not, either. But I will say something. First, two more verses:
Even so, you too, when you see these things happening, recognize that He is near, right at the door. (Mark 13:29)

But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone. Take heed, keep on the alert; for you do not know when the appointed time will come. (Mark 13:32-33)
Hmmm.... "you do not know when the time will come "... "keep on the alert"... "recognize that He is near"... Does that mean to dwell on the Second Coming? To focus on the End Times?

Some people believe it does. "Look to the Heavens! Christ's return is at hand! " Maybe. Maybe not. The Apostles thought He would return during their lifetimes. Prophets over the last 2000 years have said, "The End is Near!"

There is a story I've heard, and it sums up my view of the Second Coming, The End Times, and how we, if we are Believers, are supposed to act. I've heard to credited to St. Francis of Assissi and to Martin Luther, and I've heard it concerning The Second Coming, and concerning the man's death. Either way, no matter who said it, it's a good explanation. (work with me here).
Someone asked Francis what he would do today if he knew the Lord would return tomorrow.

"Plant a tree."

"Why would you plant a tree?"

"Because that is what I had planned to do today."
The point is, no matter how much you long for the Second Coming (if you do), no matter how much you study Scripture, you don't know for sure when it will happen. If you focus on what might happen, you can never be part of what is happening in the world around you. We were put on this planet for a purpose- and I doubt it was solely to study End Times prophecy. I know that some people are truly called to eschatology, but the average person needs to just get their spiritual acts together and not worry about the whens and wheres.

Yes, there are plenty of signs that the Second Coming might be near. If you're not "pre-trib", then you might very well believe we're already in the middle of the Tribulation. But we still need to live the lives that God gave us to live to the fullest. To do less is to squander a great gift.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to do my version of "planting a tree."



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?