Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, December 17, 2004

They Still Rule!


... the Rock 'n Roll World, that is. Lynard Skynard was on their way to becoming Legend about the time I was learning to walk and chew gum and the same time (the earliest album I could find for them was 1973's (pronounced leh-nerd skin-nerd) with 2 of their best known songs- "Freebird" and "Gimme Three Steps"- I was 3 at the time.) Thirty years later, on their cd Vicious Cycle, they have a song that shows what makes Southern Rock so awesome - "Red, White, & Blue." They're unapologetic about two important things- they're rockers, and they're patriotic.

Recently, they performed on CMT's "Crossroads" with country duo Montgomery Gentry (I posted about them before) . Yeah, I know Skynard isn't country- "Crossroads" combines a rock group with a country group and sees what happens. And, as Johnny Van Zant pointed out, country music has made a right turn and has ended up at the peak of Southern Rock (much to the chagrin of many a country purist). One of the songs that Skynard performed with MG was "Red White & Blue." Made me sad that I didn't know they'd put out a new cd. I need to pay more attention.

I'm not going to c/p all the lyrics- they're on the Skynard website if you want them. Better yet, go buy the cd. Here's the chorus:

My hair’s turning white, my neck’s always been red, my collar’s still blue
We’ve always been here just tryin’ to sing the truth to you
Guess you could say we’ve always been red white and blue
Then there's the last verse:
My daddy’s worked hard and so have I, we’ve paid our taxes and gave our lives
To serve this great country so what are they complaining about
Yeah we love our families, we love our kids
You know it’s love that makes us all so rich
That’s where we’re at and if they don’t like it they can just get the hell out
Teeheehee. I saw a message board where someone said that "if they don't like it they can just get the hell out" was a facist comment. That person obviously just didn't get it. I guess it's a Red State thing- they just wouldn't understand.

CMT has been replaying their episode of "Crossroads". Watch that, too.





<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?