Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Living Fearlessly


Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is the probable nominee for Chief Justice if/when Justice Renquist leaves the Court. Based on some of the things he said last weekend, he's not even trying to get the liberal vote. (And, no, I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing.)
The justice... told a largely Roman Catholic crowd of 350 at the Holiday Inn Select that there's nothing wrong with "traditional Christianity."

"God assumed from the beginning that the wise of the world would view Christians as fools ... and he has not been disappointed."
Is it wrong to "Amen!" a Supreme Court Justice? And I suppose a hearty "Preach on, Brother!" would be out of the question, as well.
"It is not irrational to accept the testimony of eyewitnesses who had nothing to gain. There is something wrong with rejecting a priori (deductively) the existence of miracles."
I know it may seem at first that I am making fun of this, or taking it all too lightly. On the contrary! To see a man with his power an authority, with his knowledge and intellect, making these kind of statements, I'm happy. I'm excited. I fear a little less for what our country is becoming.
"If I have brought any message today, it is this: Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity. Be fools for Christ. And have the courage to suffer the contempt of the sophisticated world."
Those are tough words to heed. I mean, who wants to be called "stupid"? Who wants their ideas mocked? But he's just taking some of the things Jesus said to heart:
"Not only that--count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens--give a cheer, even!-for though they don't like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble." (Matt 5:11-12 The Message Bible)
But, in all honesty, the fact that Justice Scalia is willing to be a fool for Christ is not enough of a reason to want him as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. I mean... I know a lot of people who are willing to boldly and fearlessly live their lives for Christ. They don't have the proper credentials to be a Justice, much less the Chief Justice. No, there is another reason I would love to have this man in charge of the highest court in the land:
He has described himself as an "originalist," following the Constitution as written by the Founding Fathers, rather than interpreting it to reflect the changing times.
That's why I like him. He doesn't look to international law (like Justice O'Connor) or view the Constitution as a "Living Document" (like a couple of the Justices). To Justice Scalia, the Constitution is what it is- the framework of our nation's government.

The fact that he is a devout and vocal Christian is just icing on the cake!





<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?