Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, January 28, 2005

The Music Meme


Well, ZiPpo tagged me, so I guess I'm it. I can't help but think he might be a bit disappointed by this post. So, I guess I'll apologize in advance. You have been warned.

So, this post is supposed to be about my musical tastes. Hmmm... where to begin... Well, growing up, my dad was in a band, and they would practice in our basement. I would sneak downstairs, sit on the bottom step, and listen to my dad and his friends play. I know they played a lot of stuff (50s and early 60s foundation of Rock'n'Roll kind of music), but there are two things that really stick out in my memory. Credence Clearwater Revival and Wipeout (yeah, it's not the original by The Surfaris, but it was the only free playable I could find). Wipeout probably sticks out in my mind so much because my dad was the drummer. In my 4 year-old mind, that was my daddy's song. Everyone else was just there to back him up.

I can still tell you what my first two (non-little-kid) music recordings were. KISS's Destroyer and The Carpenters Greatest Hits, both on 8-track. My favorite group when I was in grade school was The Bay City Rollers (I had a crush on them before I really knew what a crush was. Owned every album they made. Watched their Saturday morning kids' show religiously.) When I hit junior high, my taste wandered over to Supertramp, Rush, Triumph, etc. Throw in a bit of Jethro Tull and Lynyrd Skynyrd, and you have my musical influences up to high school. (My dad had started listening to some country- Alabama and Ronnie Millsap, but I thought country music was for "old people".) I was in high school at the height (pun intended) of pop metal and the hair bands. Bon Jovi ruled the school, so it seemed. Mötley Crüe was what we listened to when we wanted to be rebellous. But, throughout high school, the cassettes that lived in my tape player were usually my Night Ranger tapes. The first concert I ever went to was Night Ranger's Midnight Madness tour, with The Georgia Sattelites opening for them at Six Flags over St. Louis. Then, my best friend and her boyfriend took me to their Seven Wishes concert for my sixteenth birthday. Ah, yes... I remember it well.

I went to college in Oklahoma, so you can blame that for my sudden change in musical taste. My freshman year, I was still listening to the metal bands (I found the best music to study physics to is Dokken... who knew?) but I also started listening to classical (Rachmaninoff is best for doing math homework, and Mozart is good for typing English papers.) Then I started dating this guy who listened to... *gasp*... country music. But he also had KISS's Destoyer cassette, so he couldn't be all bad, right? So, he slowly lured me to the dark side with "light country" like Restless Heart, then gently, so gently, introduced the "heavier" stuff until I was hooked on Travis Tritt and Garth Brooks, and I had turned my back on my first love, rock'n'roll. Towards the end of college, I had stretched even further, going through a Christian pop music phase, adding cassettes of Michael W. Smith and Audio Adrenaline to the mix.

Then about six years ago, we started going to the church we currently attend, and I started working with the associate pastor and music minister. As part of my "job", I had to listen to a lot of pop and rock music. So, now we can add Creed, Nickleback, Lincoln Park, Train, and Vertical Horizon to the mix.

So, have I come full circle?

OK... I say all of that because the first part of the meme isn't applicable to me. I know I should, but I don't have iTunes or any other music service on my computer. I'll get around to it- I promise.

That being said, here are the answers to the questions:
1. What is the total amount of music files on your computer?
Nine. Yup. I have nine music files on my computer. 7 of them were given to me by the same person. I feel so... uncool right now.
2. The last CD you bought is:
Rascal Flats Feels Like Today
3. What is the song you last listened to before this message?
Jo Dee Messina's "My Give a Damn's Busted"
4. 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.
1. Wipeout (The Surfaris) 'Cause it's my dad's song!
2. Sister Christian (Night Ranger) That one song can bring back all the joys and sorrows of high school. It's the song that can "take me back."
3. I Hope You Dance (Lee Ann Womack) It's a wonder wish for everyone, not just your kids.
4.Everything I Do, I Do It For You (Bryan Adams) That was the first song Hubby and I danced to at our wedding reception.
5. Beth (KISS) Yeah, it's a lousy way to treat your wife, but when I was little, I just thought it was cool that there was a song with my name in it.
5. (I'm adding this one myself- out of curiousity) What's in your vehicle's cd player right now?
I have a 6 disk changer:
1. Toby Keith's Greatest Hits II
2. Rascal Flats Feels Like Today
3. WideAwake Live at The Lucky Lounge
4. Montgomery Gentry You Do Your Thing
5. Terri Clark Greatest Hits
6. Aerosmith Honkin' on Bobo
6. Who are passing the stick to (three people you're sending this to)?
1. Spats (my partner in crime for the blogfest)
2. Eric ('cause I can't wait to be amazed- I've heard some of the songs on his computer)
3. Joe R. (I'm just curious)





<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?