Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

A Parent's Fear


When I was little, my dad wanted to move to Mexico. Not because he had this incredible fondness for enchiladas or is fluent in Spanish, but because he was afraid of this.
Another custody battle involving a child in line for adoption took a heart-tugging turn in Atlantic Beach in northern Florida Saturday. Three-and-a-half-year-old Evan Scott was taken from the only home and parents he's ever known and given to his birth mother.
That was my dad's biggest fear when I was a baby. He was even worried about putting my birth announcement in the paper out of fear that my birth parents would find out where I was and want me back. They didn't, but he had no way of knowing that.

I cannot imagine what Evan's birth mother went through, giving up her child like that. But to rip apart a family like this... on a technicality (the birth father, who was abusing the birth mother, never signed off on the adoption)... it's just wrong...

The Scotts are appealing the decision, but... because of some weird laws in effect at the time, there may or may not be much hope. Governor Bush has said there's nothing he can do, so it's up to the courts now...



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?