Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Animal News (LONG post... funny ending...)


Well, Blogspot ate this post earlier today, so let's try it again...

There isn't much worth writing about in the "normal" news, so I thought I'd cover a few animal stories. Some of these are pretty interesting...
That last story brought to mind a memory from when the boys were little. (Sit back and relax. While this is a Image hosted by Photobucket.com kind of story, no toddlers or animals were injured in the making of this memory.) Let me set the stage. The boys are just under 2 years old. We're visiting Mugga and Pompa in IL. It's summer... and summer in STL means 110 degrees in the shade at times.

During one of those blistering summer days, we decide to go to Grant's Farm. (If you're ever in STL and have some free time, check it out. Maybe you can find a zonkey or a zony.) So, we take the tram to the Garten, and then we start wandering around, looking at all the animals. (Yeah, I know. Camels and eagles and goats and pigs and deer are kind of lost on toddlers. I was having fun, though.) T2 was off getting "freshened up", and I had T1 in the double stroller. We walked over to one of the corrals where a mamma Clydesdale and her new baby were being displayed for the first time.

Have you ever seen a Clydesdale? I mean up close and personal, not in a Budweiser commercial. They're beautiful, amazing animals, standing 18 hands (6ft) high at the shoulder and weighing over 2000 pounds. Here's a photo, but it just doesn't do them justice:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Even the babies are HUGE.

So... back to the story... I maneuver the stroller in so T1 can get a closer look. Mamma has positioned herself between Jr and the fence (and the people) like any good mom would do. This is awesome! I think to myself. T1 has been on a horse, but he's never been near one of these beauties. He's so close he can almost touch her. This is amazing! Right about this time, I see Mamma start sniffing, not really flaring her nostrils, but just sniffing the air... right around T1. (I did mention that it was - seriously- about 110 degrees, right? And that the humidity in STL when it's that hot is... oh... about 487% That is important to the story right now...) Hmmm... that's interesting... she must smell the soap... or maybe the shampoo... or ... OH NO! Sweat!!!

Before I could move, Mamma has clamped on to T1's little noggin and started sucking on it like it was a saltlick. He didn't scream or react like he was in pain, so I just froze in place. What am I going to do? Everyone around me started freaking out, and I'm screaming inside, look people... she's being gentle... she knows he's just a baby... and she won't hurt him... as long as you DON'T SPOOK HER!!!!

About that time, she releases T1's head, gives me a look that said, yeah... uh... well... sorry 'bout that. Cute kid. Then she gave Jr a little nudge and wandered off to another part of the corral. I checked T1 over... his head wasn't even red, and he was perfectly fine. His mom was a little freaked, and Pompa was less than thrilled when I told him what happened, but T1 wasn't even phased by it. Didn't sour him to horses, or make him fear animals in general.

Then there was the time T2, also a toddler at the time, stuck his finger up a horse's nose... up to his elbow. Hmmm... wonder if they'll both end up being veterinarians...



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?