Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Kick Butts Day


Today is Kick Butts Day in schools across the country, and young skulls full of mush will be bombarded with anti-tobacco information. (hey... smoking is bad for you... don't get me wrong. And it looks like DARE has been doing a wonderful job of educating kids on the evils of drug use.) Although some of the activities worry me (do they really need to put the Marlboro Man on trial?) I think this is a pretty good idea.

What I don't get (yeah, yeah... smokers will get on my case- get over it!) is how you could have made it through school in the 70s and 80s (and I'm sure the 90s and beyond) without having enough anti-smoking propogando shoved down your throat that you'd never want to even look at a pack of cigarettes, moreless smoke them. I still remember that nasty looking picture of a diseased lung we saw in health class. That was nasty. Why would you intentionally do that to your lungs?

There is one thing I don't get though. Why in April? Why not have it in November, just before the Great American Smokeout? Think about it. You have Kick Butts Day on the 3rd Monday in November, and then the kids could be real encouragement for people who are participating in the Smokeout! Well... either that, or they'll be total nags. Hey, whatever works, right?



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?