Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Battlefield Faith


There's an old saying. "There are no atheists in foxholes." Makes sense to me.

I just watched an interview with Stephen Mansfield about his new book, The Faith of the American Soldier. (Time to add another book to my "to read" list.) He went to Iraq and talked to the soldiers. And he had some interesting things to say.

80-90% of US soldiers consider themselves Christian. Because of the changes in some military regulations, chaplains are no longer on the battlefield many times. This has led to young soldiers making it up as they go along, having Bible studies in their tents and creating their own faith traditions.

And, for the soldiers, and I believe for our country, this is a good thing.

(I'll write a "review" of the book once I read it.)



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?