Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Yummy


A few days ago, we broke down and bought a new gas grill. I christened it by grilling some chicken (which had been marinating in chipotle marinade for a long time). But... it's needed a true baptism... by smoke.

At the end of June, there will be a meeting of the minds bloggers in Brew Naunfels. I have offered to help with the preparation of munchies for said shindig. I kinda figured that it would be a good idea to actually practice before I subject those poor souls to my cooking grilling bbqing smoking/charring of animal. So... today was my first excursion into the world of "smoked" foods on the grill. (Yeah, yeah... I know... you can't truly smoke something on a gas grill. This was pretty darn close).

For this experiment, I grabbed a pack of beef ribs (hey! They're in my freezer... back off!) Last night, I (with some help from Hubby) brined them in a Jack Daniels™ brine. Today, they went into a preheated grill (225°, give or take a few degrees) set up for indirect heat (with a drip pan). Directly over the lit burner, I put a smoke box with soaked Jack Daniels™ oak chips (hmmm... am I detecting a theme here?) I checked the temp every 20 minutes or so, just to make sure it stayed between 200° and 250°). They were flipped over once an hour.

While they were getting all happy on the grill, I worked on the sauce. No, I'm not going to tell you what's in it... that's a secret (no, R, you and A may not give it away!). It's just a basic tomato-based barbecue sauce that you can only find in the St. Louis area (Dad keeps me supplied with 148 oz jugs of the stuff) combined with onion and garlic and mumblemumblemumble. I did put a shot or two of JD™ in there, just for consistency of flavor. You couldn't taste it. Not really.

At the 4-Hour mark, I basted the ribs with a dilluted sauce, then cranked up the heat for 10 minutes or so. That baked the sauce onto them and made a nice coating. Then I took them off the grill and mopped on some full strength sauce.

The boys and A (R's son) were my guinnea pigs tasters. T2 prefers Memphis style ribs, but he said these were pretty good (loved the sauce). T1 thought it was just a bit too spicy at the end, but, all in all, a good rib (must not have been too spicy- he finished his off with no problem). A said that he liked the way the taste was still there after you swallowed, and that if there was anything to change, he couldn't think of it. (And he liked that little spicy kick at the end).

My thoughts? Not bad at all for my first try. The sauce needs some minor tweeking, but nothing major (it was just a little too sweet for me, but... just barely). I'd like to try this recipe on St. Louis style pork ribs, just to see what the differences are. And I need to make more sauce. You can never have too much sauce (on the side).

ZiPpo, I hope to have this down by the time the fest comes around. I'm off to a good start!



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?