Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Culinary Adventures


I pride myself on the fact that, for the most part, my kids are not picky eaters (T1 orders all of his burgers with "no onions, tomato, or lettuce", but that's about it). The first restaurant they were ever in was an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet place in Virginia Beach (on their 2 week birthday), and it's been one culinary adventure after another ever since. On the Disney cruise, they ordered off the adult menu (they were 7) because it just sounded better. T2 broke his arm, and, when told he could have whatever he wanted to eat, he asked for sushi. McDonalds and Burger King are rarely if ever on their gastronomic radar.

That being said, I have to admit that I was a bit surprised when I realized that my boys had never experienced the culinary adventure known as White Castle. Dang! I'm falling down on the job here!

My grandfather loved White Castle, and I get my appreciation for the greasy little monsters from him, I'm sure. I've never understood why people hate them... they're not great, but they're not all that bad, either.

So, I announced my intentions to introduce the boys to the wonders of White Castle, and that idea was quickly shot down.

"No way, Mom. White Castle is gross."
"Have you ever had it? How do you know it's gross?"
"No, we've never had it. Dad told us it was gross."

A quick phone call to Dad confirmed that he did think they were quite nasty, but that his judgment might have been a tad clouded since he had them when he was in the Navy and it was one of the only places open when the bars closed. Ah, yes... culinary advice from a man who despises green beans but loves lima beans. (He actually usually has great culinary judgment... usually.)

So... off to White Castle I go. $17 dollars later (do you know how hard it is to spend $17 at White Castle???) and it's back to the house. Each child got two regular burgers, two cheeseburgers, two bacon cheeseburgers and an order of fries.

Final verdict? Not bad. Not Wendy's good, but not bad. T2 thought they were a little bland because all he could taste was the horseradish mustard. Me thinks he put on too much horseradish mustard.

Hmmm... wonder what else I can get them to try...



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?