To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here
Friday, June 03, 2005
Observations on Being a Slug...
I think if given the choice, the boys would have stayed in the Hurricane Harbor side of the park the entire time. They went on all the slides, and my sister and I worked on our sunburns. There was no fear there (ok... maybe a little when T1 found out he'd be going backwards on the Tornado... but that's it). We get to the other side of the park, have an ice cream cone (maybe not the brightest of ideas) and head towards the rides. Both boys went on the Joker ride (giant pendulum) and then T2 went with my sister on the Screaming Eagle (large wooden coaster- used to be the biggest, baddest thing at Six Flags Mid America... when I was the boys' age, that is). Then they were ready to go (evidently the combination of ice cream and fear of having to go on Mr. Freeze was enough to do T1 in). Next year, we'll just go to Raging Rivers (a water park not far from here) and be done with it.
Some random observations from Six Flags...
- That $1 soda you whine about paying for at the convenience store costs $3 from a machine at an amusement park, but you'll pay it because it's not the $4.50 you'd pay at the snack bar.
- Sun screen is still your friend. (From what I could tell, there were quite a few people nursing blistered backs Thursday morning.)
- If you purchase most of your clothing from Lane Bryant, the bikini should not be on your shopping list. Ever. (While I admire their self-confidence... well... I'm sure there were more flattering styles... )
- In fact, wearing bikinis should be a privilege and not a right (to paraphrase Larry the CableGuy). There are only certain sizes that are granted that privilege, and if you have to wonder, you ain't it. (In the spirit of full disclosure, I haven't been that size in over 10 years, and I doubt I'll ever see that size again. And, no, I'm not bitter. I actually feel sorry for the women who are so blind they think they look good in such little fabric. Sometimes, more is less, Ladies... )
- Six Flags just isn't as much fun as it used to be (when I was... younger). I'm sure it has nothing to do with me getting older. Couldn't be that...
So... we took the day off yesterday. Boys played with the r/c Hummer. My grandma came over for a while. (Yes, I know how lucky I am that up until a couple of months ago, I had both of my grandmothers still with us). Went to Steak & Shake for dinner last night (there are none in Central Texas.) Today I think is another lazy day (well, another day to baby my back... that's more accurate). Tomorrow, I'm thinking about the zoo... Next week, we'll go to the Science Center to see the IMAX movie Fighter Pilot and visit Boeing's Prologue Room (mini museum talking about McDonnell Douglas' contributions to aerospace and space flight). We'll also go to Grant's Farm (weather permitting). There might even be a trip to a casino for the adults in the house... not sure about that, yet.