Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, June 27, 2005

The Saddest Thing About Tiggers...


... is that he was the only one.
Ventriloquist Paul Winchell, who was the voice of Tigger in Disney's Winnie the Pooh films, has died aged 82.He was a popular children's TV host in the US, and first voiced Tigger in 1968 in Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day, which won an Academy Award. Winchell also voiced Gargamel in The Smurfs and Boomer in The Fox and the Hound, as well as voicing other Disney and Hanna-Barbera productions.
This is sad. His passing, along with the passing of Thurl Ravenscroft, tells me a bit about myself. I'm getting older. The characters (and their creators) that were part of childhood as I grew up are leaving us, one at a time. Makes me feel old.

But it also makes me wonder. What characters will my kids hold onto as they grow up? Who will get stuck in the back of their minds? Whose passing will make them pause and say, "well, drat"? Tommy Pickle? Spongebob? I have no idea.

One of my favorite t-shirts is Pooh nose-to-nose to a real bengal tiger, asking, "Is That You, Tigger?" No, Pooh... no, it's not.

UPDATE: It was just brought to my attention that John Fielder, the voice of Piglet, passed away last Saturday. Another loss... Shall we raise a spoon of honey in memory of our childhood friends?



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?