Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, October 07, 2005

I Guess I Need To Start Eating at Subway


I'm not a big Subway fan. It's nothing against them- I'm just not a huge sandwich fan. I do like their wraps- more stuff, less bread-like-material. But... I may have to go there more often, if for no other reason than to support them after this short lived but brilliant campaign.
Two years after relations between the US and France soured over the Iraq war, French-bashing in America appears alive and well in light of a recent ad campaign by a fast-food chain linking France and cowardice.

The ad by the Subway chain touted a cordon bleu chicken sandwich with the words "France and chicken, somehow it just goes together". A photo of a chicken dressed like Napoleon accompanied the advertisement.

Subway ran the ads in about 10 US states for nearly a month and pulled them in September following an outcry by members of the French expatriate community and other customers offended by the racist undertone.
Technically, it's not racist. "French" isn't a race... it's a nationality. There's a difference.

Subway says that it wasn't trying to say that France was full of cowards, but to draw a comparison between French cuisine and their new sandwich. And it looks like the French ex-pats got their... um... feathers ruffled.

Here's the poster. You tell me if it's offensive. Personally, I think it's inspired. I love the chicken's costume!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yup... going to have to stop by Subway sometime soon.



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?