Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A New and Improved Sooner Schooner


Anyone who follows OU football knows about the Sooner Schooner.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Now... imagine if you will a new Sooner Schooner... far, far away from Norman, Oklahoma. One that looks something like... well, like this:

Image hosting by Photobucket

(I'd photoshop an "OU" on the side of it if I could... but I don't have Photoshop, and I wouldn't know how to use it if I did have it.)

I know, I know... you're asking yourself what in the world I'm talking about... I'm talking about THIS:
The College of Engineering has started a fundraising campaign to enable the launch of the Sooner Lunar Schooner by 2010.

The Sooner Lunar Schooner, a rover designed to test the environmental effects of solar radiation and temperature on materials in space, is being built at OU by professors and students.

...Hougen said the project aims to send two rovers to examine such materials as aluminum, metal and steel that have been left on the moon by the previous missions Apollo 17 and the Russian Lunicod 2. OU will be light years ahead of any other college’s exploration into the great unknown, Miller said.
When I was at OU, engineering students did neat things like drop eggs off of the stadium in contraptions to try to keep them from breaking. Now they're doing cool stuff like this. Sweet!

I hope they do this. I like the idea of private money being used in space exploration. Get NASA out of it as much as possible. And the fact that students are doing this is just icing on the cake.



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?