To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Incidental Insights of an Insomniac
Here are some of the things that go through my mind at 3am when most normal people are sound asleep:
- What happened in your past may shape who you are, but it doesn't excuse vile behavior.
- Blaming anything and everything else doesn't help much either. (or does being an "alcoholic" gay man change everything... you know, it just might for some people.)
- Fear of repeating past transgressions does not give you permission to murder little kids... the one bullet (through your mouth) would have sufficed.
- There is only so much house cleaning and closet-cleaning-outing that can be done in the middle of the night with a bad back. Or with a good back, for that matter.
- If several media outlets (never known for their tact or for their tendency to squash a story, no matter who gets hurt in the process) pass on a story, it probably means that they didn't think it was much of a story (probably because they didn't have all of the gross, disgusting, sick, perverted, vile, reprehensible details yet.) (No, I'm not excusing the behavior of the sicko... I'm saying that not as many people knew all of the details than certain very vocal people want you to think)
- At least he resigned (unlike other people we could name).
- Sometimes the 40DD upgrades come in handy.
- Sometimes people wear their sin as a badge of honor, so that everyone will tell them it's ok, that they really didn't do anything wrong, and that they're courageous for coming forward. In a world of no moral absolutes, what do you expect?
- It's all Bush's fault... right?
- Running the coffee grinder in the middle of the night annoys the pets and can wake up the kids.
- Clowns are evil... and now I have proof.
- According to the "experts", the Cards are acting like the team I've come to know and love, not the JV squad they were leading up to the playoffs. (Yeah, they may crash and burn... but I love my Cards... )
- Haynesworth is a tad lighter in the wallet, seemingly contrite, and on a five-week vacation. Can't say I'd want to be him when the suspension's over. I get this sneaking suspicion there will be some dirty play against him... and I don't think I have much of a problem with that.
- There's not much on tv at 3am except Texas Hold'em, Queer Eye reruns, and infomercials. Radio's not much better, unless you're a Coast to Coast fan.