Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Today In History


(h/t to Linda for reminding me) On November 4, 1979, the Iranian Hostage Crisis began.
The Iran hostage crisis was a 444-day period (approximately 14 months), during which student proxies of the new Iranian regime held hostage 66 diplomats and citizens of the United States inside the U.S. embassy in Tehran. The standoff lasted from November 4, 1979 until January 20, 1981. During the crisis, some hostages were released, but 52 were held until the end. The United States launched a rescue operation, Operation Eagle Claw, which failed and caused the deaths of eight servicemen. Historians consider the crisis to have been a primary reason for United States President Jimmy Carter's loss in his re-election bid for the presidency in 1980. The crisis also punctuated the first Islamic revolution of modern times.
No, this wasn't the first time the Religion of Peace let its true face be seen, but it was one of the first Islamic attackd directed at the United States (as far as I can tell).

There is also some "controversy" as to whether our friend Mo (my favorite loony as of late) was involved in the crisis. Many of the hostages claim that he was one of the students who took them captive. Just how relevent his involvement could be is under dispute as well. I mean, really... the man's a maniacal nut-job... this would just add another bullet-point for his Whacko Leaders of History Hall of Fame application.

Looking back, this might have been a turning point for me, as well. I had just turned 10 when the hostages were taken captive, and I was just really "getting into" current events, the news cycle, politics, and stuff like that. Yes, I joke that I became a Republican in 1976 (at the ripe old age of 6) because the Democrats chose Jimmy Carter as their candidate for President. But, in all honesty, I think events that took place during Carter's administration were what really helped shaped my political ideology. (S0, I guess Carter was good for something, after all).

We've known for a long time that the RoP isn't... and yet we still try talking to them... and I bet those hostages are still wondering why...



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?