Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Oh, Yeah... Like That's Going To Happen


First, my $.02 on the whole Don Imus curfluffle. I don't like him, but I do appreciate his charity work. I don't listen to or watch his show (part of the "I don't like him" thingy). He said something he shouldn't have said (but that a black radio host could have probably said and not gotten in trouble for). It wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be, but... he still shouldn't have said it. Should he be canned for it? No. There's this neat thing called "free speech," and that includes stupid speech.

Also, you can't really look past the point that CNN has been going 24/7 on this, and recent ratings showed that Imus' MSNBC show was routinely beating CNN's morning show. Coincidence?

OK, all that being said... here's a rough draft of something that was said on Imus' show this morning:
6:12 AM: On Imus' radio program (no longer simulcast on MSNBC) this morning, Chris Carlin, who covers sports for the program, discussed yesterday's dismissal of charges against the Duke lacrosse players. (rough transcript)

DON IMUS: When will Al Sharpton be apologizing to them?

(LAUGHTER)

CARLIN: I'm unaware of such a press conference.

IMUS: I'll be darned...
In case you don't know what he was talking about, The Reverend Al pretty much tried and convicted the lacrosse players every chance he got in front of a microphone, adding in that "they thought they could get away with raping a black girl because they are rich white guys." (And I guess we can't really get into any of his scandals, right?)

Being a white chick, I've been informed that I can't speak to racial issues, since I've never been discriminated against. Yeah, that's true. But it's also true that I can look at a situation and see if it's bad behavior or not, and if it's over-reaction or not. Honestly, I have pretty high behavior standards- I expect civility and respect in all situations unless and until the person proves themselves personally unworthy of civility and respect. It's from that position that I make my comments.

Is there true racism that still goes on in this country? I'm not sure, but, if it does happen, I don't think it's as bad as some would lead you to believe. Do people make racist comments? Oh yeah- I've heard them. Do people make blanket judgements based on irrelevent characteristics? Yeah. Do people make mountains out of molehills about nothing more than words? Yeah.

Dwelling on it is the social equivalent of picking at a scab- the wounds just take longer to heal and leave a nasty scar. Don Imus screwed up big time, and he should apologize for it, vow to never do it again, and then everyone should get on with their lives. Al Sharpton (and every other self-righteous, hypocritical moron who screams racism with every breath) needs to apologize to every person he's ever offended with his blanket racist innuendos and accusations, vow to never do it again, and get on with life.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. Don's going to get canned, and Al's going to be a hero. And that's not right.



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?