Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, November 30, 2007

Much Ado About Not a Whole Lot


So... if you live in a Time Warner or Comcast area, you've obviously heard the endless stream of radio ads by both the cable companies and the NFL Network about their little tiff. The big cable companies want to either put the NFL Network on a pay tier or, at least, get the good deal offered to some of the small cable companies. The NFL Network wants to be in the basic digital package (like they are on Dish and Direct). In the mean time, people with cable instead of satellite missed the Dallas/Green Bay game last night.

As for the whole debate, I'm of the opinion that they're both right, and they're both wrong. But, because I firmly believe that Jerry Jones is evil, it's all his fault. (Seriously, though-My first choice would be that NFL games would stay on "broadcast" channels - I was mad when they showed up on ESPN. If that's not possible, then they should be on readily available media - the way it is now. I'd also love to see Sunday Ticket available on cable as well as Dish.) I don't actually want the NFL Network- except for the live games I can't think of a single thing I'd want to see. I mean, I'm not all that interested in replays of random games or watching the Combines. Then again, in my perfect world, cable would be a la carte. (Fox News, Food TV, the ESPNs, the Fox Sports, and I'm all good.)

On to the reason for my little rant today. Last night, since I don't have satellite, I joined a bazillion of my closest friends at a local sports bar (well, not all that local- the ones near here was busting at the seams, so we wandered out to a small town near here and squished in like sardines with the locals there) to watch the game. We couldn't actually hear the broadcast because of the number of people in the room, which, come to find out, was a good thing. As we were watching it, nitpicky me was noticing the broadcast glitches (odd camera shots and returning from commercial breaks during the middle of a play). I came away from it unimpressed by the visual presentation.

Today, I was listening to the Jim Rome Show, and I found out that the audio didn't help the experience. Evidently, Bryant Gumble called Dallas' QB "Rick Romo" (and... I quote... "That's why McCarthy[GB's head coach-B] said that Barber [Dallas running back-B] is the heart and soul of the Green Bay offense") and sounded more than a little like Kermit the Frog.

So, I guess I'm glad I don't have the NFL Network. I just wish a whole lot more people around here did, just so the sports bars wouldn't be so crowded on game days.



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?