Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, December 06, 2007

My Favorite Christmas Ads So Far


I think I really like Slingbox. No, I'm not going to buy one (sorry, don't need one), but I love the company. They're sports fans, and they're not PC when it comes to Christmas.

I've heard two of their recent radio ads, and they're great. In the first one, the announcer keeps saying "Christmas" and the producer breaks in and says "you need to say 'holiday." The announcer gets so flustered by it (especially when he's told that he can't say that a Slingbox will be under the tree) that he says something to the effect that the recipient of the Slingbox will love it when one mysteriously appears (I'm paraphrasing here- I can't find a link to the ad).

In the second ad, to be "inclusive", instead of just referencing Christmas, everything he would have said "Christmas" (which is intentionally a lot) he says "ChristmasHanukkahKwanzaaRamadanDiwalilasLasPosadasWinterSolstice." He's totally exhausted by the end of the spot.

They get it. It's not about "holidays"- which other Holy Day has gift giving as part of the tradition? Sure, Hanukkah does... kind of... Diwali? Nope... Las Posadas doesn't have a real gift component... Ramadan? Not so much... Kwanzaa... sorta... Like it or not, there's a reason the day after Thanksgiving is called Black Friday- that's the day many people begin shopping for their Christmas gifts.

I'm still not all about the materialism that runs rampant this time of year (even more than normal), but I'm glad that Sling Media gets it.



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?