To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Today In History
Let's see what happened on this day in history.
- 1789 George Washington took office in New York as the first president of the United States.
- 1803 The United States purchased the Louisiana Territory from France.
- 1812 Louisiana became the 18th state.
- 1900 Hawaii was organized as a U.S. territory.
- 1900 Train engineer John Luther "Casey" Jones of the Illinois Central Railroad died in a wreck near Vaughan, Miss., after staying at the controls in an effort to save the passengers. (The event was immortalized in song.)
- 1945 Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler committed suicide along with his wife of one day, Eva Braun, as Russian troops approached his Berlin bunker.
- 1993 Top-ranked women's tennis player Monica Seles was stabbed in the back by a man who ran onto the court during a match in Hamburg, Germany.