Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Dreams Unrealized


I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
If you read the rest of Dr. King's speech, you'll see just how far we've come in race relations since he gave the speech in 1963. There is still prejudice (that goes both ways), but it is so different than it once was.

You wouldn't know that, though, if you listened to Senator Obama's remarks recently:
"It is going to be very difficult for Republicans to run on their stewardship of the economy or their outstanding foreign policy," Obama told a fundraiser in Jacksonville, Florida. "We know what kind of campaign they're going to run. They're going to try to make you afraid.

"They're going to try to make you afraid of me. He's young and inexperienced and he's got a funny name. And did I mention he's black?"

He said he was also set for Republicans to say "he's got a feisty wife," in trying to attack his wife Michelle.

"We know the strategy because they've already shown their cards. Ultimately I think the American people recognize that old stuff hasn't moved us forward. That old stuff just divides us," he said.
Wow. Let's break this down, ok?
The quote ends with this:
"We know the strategy because they've already shown their cards. Ultimately I think the American people recognize that old stuff hasn't moved us forward. That old stuff just divides us," he said.
The GOP has shown their cards? When did that happen? Was that when Bill Clinton (you remember him, don't you?) said that Obama's victory in South Carolina was strictly a racial thing? Was that when Hillary went after poor white voters late in the primaries? Or could it have been when the McCain campaign refused to comment on the Jeremiah Wright fiasco and chastizes anyone who brings up race as a divisive issue?

For years, somehow the GOP has been labeled the "racist" party. It doesn't matter that the GOP was the party that passed the Civil Rights Act in the 1960s, against the wishes of many Democrats (including "the Conscience of the Senate"). The GOP is the party who wants to get the poor out of their cycle of poverty and into the work force. The GOP is the party who wants to affirm the family (and, well... the father's role in the family). The GOP is the party that wants equality for all, both the privileged and the wanting.

I guess I might sound a bit... defensive about all of this. I've spent far too long being told that I have a certain set of beliefs because of the color of my skin or where I lived or what God I have placed my beliefs and faith in. I'm tired of being made into a villian because I look a certain way, dress a certain way, talk a certain way. I'm sick and tired of being accused of hatred with no proof.

The GOP has shown their cards? Prove it. Show us just how racist and evil you think we really are. You just might shine the light into the corners of your own party in the process, Mr. Obama.



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?