To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here
Thursday, June 19, 2008
So... what has the electronic paper boy brought us today?
- Maybe we are winning that pesky war in Iraq.
- Poor piggies... bbq, anyone?
- Is this news? Americans, in general, are gloomier than the economy. It's been that way as long as I can remember. "Well, we're doing ok, but we're worried about our neighbors" or something like that. We're not in a recession. The government made mortgage companies do stupid things that put a lot of people at risk. Other people just made stupid investment decisions. As long as the Democrats don't get control of everything and tax us to death, we'll be ok. No, really.
- Boeing isn't going away quietly after they lost the tanker bid. I fear that this may come back to bite some politicians. Not that they won't deserve it, but...
- I'm not sue-happy by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't think of anyone more worthy. He hasn't bothered to even apologize yet... not that I think he will.
- I hope my kids don't find out about this the next time they get grounded.
- I'm throwing the flag on this one. There is no way that this guy didn't know the button would be controversial.
- A lot of people in Texas will be happy if all the funds for the restoration of the Governor's mansion can be from private donation. And I really hope they arrest whoever torched it.
- Why is setting a record for energy use in a growing Texas city when the temperature is in the 90s and 100s news-worthy? And, I will scream in the general direction of the first person I hear who says that it's global warming's fault. Uh, NO! It's summer in Texas. If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the Lone Star State.
- The anti-war crowd has its new poster child. And I'm throwing the flag on the dad- no conservative Republican is in favor of the draft.
- Sure, it probably makes me sound petty, but this makes me want to drive cross-country for no apparent reason today. Maybe it's because I've never lived in an area with a public transportation system worth anything. Do they exist?
- No one's surprised that G/L groups are upset that General Peter Pace is going to receive the Medal of Freedom, right? Just making sure.
- Cindy McCain's not holding back. And we're still waiting for her invitation to go on The View.
- Obama's campaign put their foot in it with the Muslim community. Oops?
- Did Obama basically say that if the military and Iraqis ask, we'd stay in Iraq? But... but... it's the evil war... isn't it?
- In bad science news, we have a "scientist" who thinks that global warming has caused an increase in earthquakes.
- Whale sharks "fly" through the oceans. Kinda cool.
- Tiger Woods has amazing pain tolerance. And that seems like such an understatement. A torn ACL and double stress fractures? Dang... (And Jack Nicklaus is impressed... duh... )
- House Democrats, who can't manage their own cafeterias, want to nationalize oil refineries. They really don't understand why there isn't more gasoline out there for us to use, do they?
- Then again, Democrats either don't understand or intentionally misstate what's going on with oil leases, so what more should we expect?
- Nice to know that Senator McCain finally figured out what many of us have known for years- we need more nuclear power plants.
- Investment tip for you- think about buying stock in ship builders. Just sayin'...
- More "not in my backyard" whiners. These are the same jerks who will whine when prices go up even more.
- Some professors are trying to confuse everyone.
- Isn't this a little like putting lipstick on a pig? (I mean, there's a reason why the boys chose to homeschool when the other option was Austin Independent School District.)
- Let's see... the government decides that it has to mandate that kids actually read and do math at their grade level (what a concept!)... school gripe about having so much more to do... teachers pay attention to low achievers and the advanced kids are ignored... scores of lower achieving kids go up, and the advanced kids' scores don't go up at the same rate... and they're surprised???? Clamoring for more money begins in 3...2...1...
- A group of young girls (most, if not all, under 16) made a pact to all get pregnant and raise their children together. The response of the school system to this obvious moral and social breakdown? More sex ed (That was in another article that I can't find now... sorry). Here's a news flash for you- they know how to avoid getting pregnant- they did this on purpose. Sex ed isn't going to help, Einstein.
- A guy wanted to buy a used truck. The salesman drove him to the bank in the "new" truck, and the guy went into the bank and robbed it. I guess the salesman really wanted to make that sale.
- Getting drunk on a plane? No big deal. Smoking during a flight? Big no-no these days. Breaking through flex-cuffs and punching a flight attendant? Bigger no-no.