Image hosted by Photobucket.com To read the tribute to SFC Marcus Muralles, please click here Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, September 22, 2008

The Political Rumor Mill


It's an election year; you never know what might happen. The stakes are pretty high, so the candidates might feel that they have no choice but take drastic steps... like replacing your VP choice at the last minute.

You think I'm joking, right? Well... there's this e-mail going around, stating just that. After the VP debate on Oct. 2nd, Biden will step down and Hillary will ride in to save Barack's day.
On or about October 5th, Biden will excuse himself from the ticket, citing health problems, and he will be replaced by Hillary.  This is timed to occur after the VP debate on 10/2.

There have been talks all weekend about how to proceed with this info. Generally, the feeling is that we should all go ahead and get it out there to as many blog sites and personal email lists as is possible.  I have already seen a few short blurbs about this - the 'health problem' cited in those articles was aneurysm.  Probably many of you have heard the same rumblings.
That's one version of the e-mail. There are other versions, and other bloggers have chimed in over the past couple of weeks. The most prevalent "reason" that they claim will be cited for Biden stepping down is "aneurysm" which he did have issues with...  two decades ago. (teeheehee... here's the snopes take on it- impossible to prove something in the future... could cause monumental collapse of Obama campaign, etc...) Oh, my... a quick dogpile search (I'm tired of google and yahoo... giving dogpile a try) fetched a whole lotta linky love for this particular rumor. (That was from the first page.)

Why do I even bring it up? Well... the snarky part of me wants to put a Biden clock in the sidebar, counting down to Oct. 5th. Another part of me wants to get my grubby little mitts on H.G. Well's time machine, hop forward 2 weeks, then come back to today and laugh at y'all for either ignoring a huge story or making a mountain out of an imaginary molehill.

The best course of action might just be to get the rumor out there. If it's true, the DNC has had their thunder stolen from them. "Oh, yeah... Hillary is the VP candidate... we knew that weeks ago... before you made poor, sick Joe go out there and get his fanny handed to him by Sarahcuda. You big meanies." Or... if it's a fake, the DNC might be forced to do something novel (like releasing medical records for its candidates, which the GOP has turned over- at least for McCain- but the DNC doesn't seem to feel the need.)



Do I think the rumor is true? No, not really. I mean... someone in the DNC knows what happened in 1972, right?


UPDATE: Nice Deb points us to El Rushbo, who has decided to begin Operation S.O.B. (Save Our Biden). In case that is "members only," I'll quote the highlights:
Obama is the next target for a bailout, I am convinced.  Now, let me set this up. I'm sure that quite a few of you who are spending any time at all on the computer have received what I have received a gazillion times. By the way, as a little heads up, those of you out there who receive things in e-mail, these flash blast e-mails that go out: If you think I haven't seen it yet, change your mind. By the time you see it, I have seen it so many times, I have practically thrown the computer up against the wall. You don't need to forward these things to me. I am a magnet for this stuff. Anyway, the latest going around is this flash e-mail sent by somebody claiming to have inside information at the DNC that the Democrat National Committee and Obama have gotten together and they have decided to get rid of Biden.


...I can't recall the last time that I heard a vice presidential candidate criticize an ad run by the presidential candidate.  I can't remember the first time.  First time, last time, I can't remember a time that it happened.  So what I have heard is, is the plan is to send Biden out there to say something so stupid -- so odd, impolitic, whatever, off the wall -- that they have no choice but than to get rid of him.  You know, like all these e-mails you get, just discount this and discount some of these other things, even though I was the first to suggest that of the two, Palin and Biden, if anybody's going to be replaced, it would be Biden.


I'm first on the record with this.  Now, I'm walking back into the studio and I'm talking about this with Snerdley, and Dawn overhears this. She said, "Has this ever happened before?"  And I said only one time in our lifetimes, and that was 1972, when George McGovern had to get rid of Thomas Eagleton, who was a senator from Missouri, because it had been discovered that Eagleton had had electric shock treatment.  Now, back in 1972, electric shock treatment is where you took grandma if things weren't going right in the bathroom or other places.  It had an attachment to it that you take people to asylums to get this done. So poor old Eagleton, that's the last time that I can remember that happening.

(Rush then plays several gaffes that Senator Biden has had over the past few weeks.)

Again, folks, a new Operation Chaos, it's called SOB, Save Our Biden, Operation Sling Blade.  We need to keep this guy on the campaign.
Stay tuned to the EIB Network for orders... 



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?